Well what if it is?
Many successful small business owners get stuck in a rut. It’s called The Struggle, and while it’s anything but boring, it’s definitely a rut. Some find that they can’t get out of it. Many more don’t want to. It’s comfortable, they know where they’re at with it, it’s their norm.
They tell themselves that they’ve already stepped out of their comfort zone to create their business. They tell themselves that they are successful, and that running a successful business comes at a price – no time and no life beyond it. They tell themselves they’re ok with that, and they’re surrounded by other Strugglers who confirm that they’re right.
They revel in war stories of their 80 hour weeks, and comfort themselves that they are still working to improve themselves by attending weekend seminars and late evening webinars, while other ‘less successful’ people are enjoying time with family and friends. They’ve created a new comfort zone, and their rut’s too deep to see beyond it.
Success is many different things to many different people, but I’m guessing your picture of the perfect life is not one of you slaving in your business day after day.
So what’s it going to take to get you out of your rut, to push through your comfortable struggle, to enjoy a life of time and financial freedom?
Here are 6 steps to set you on your way:
- Create a roadmap – your vision of success, and what you need to do to achieve it
- Work with a mentor – someone who’s going to ‘wake you up’ when you’re slipping into a rut, who’ll challenge you and remind you of the life that’s possible
- Find a support team – people who are in your corner, who see their success as tied to your success, who do the stuff that swallows your time and who do it better than you
- Develop routines – daily, weekly, monthly routines that keep you focused on what’s important, that keep you proactive and in control
- Build systems – to support your team, to give them a foundation to achieve the high standards you have set, to ensure consistency for your customers
- Step out of your comfort zone – do something that scares you every, single, day
The grass really is greener beyond your comfortable struggle, you just have to lift your head out of the sand to see it.